FALL CLEANING CHECKLIST
Inside Your House
- Vacuum dusty canvas, cotton and treated fabric blinds. Use a low setting with a brush attachment. Vinyl shades can be wiped down with a dampened microfiber cloth if they need a little more attention.
- Clean the walls. Dust, wash, rinse, and dry painted or wood paneled walls.
- Clean ceiling-mounted light fixtures.
- Vacuum and spot-clean upholstered furniture and cushions. Deep clean if necessary.
- Wipe down the kitchen cupboards. Empty them, wash them down, replace liners (if you use them), declutter, and reorganize.
- Dust off the refrigerator condenser coil. Use your vacuums brush attachment and gently vacuum it.
- Do the carpets. Have carpets professionally cleaned if needed.
- Evaluate any wooden floors. Have scratched or dull wood floors professionally scuff-sanded and re coated, or completely refinished.
- Spruce up your computer. Dust the CPU, clean and wipe sown the keyboard and dust off the monitor with a microfiber cloth.
- Test smoke and carbon monoxide detectors. Or install them, if you haven't yet.
- Replace the furnace filter. If you haven't changed your furnace filter within the past three months, do so now.
- Declutter and clean out the attic.
- Check weather stripping and caulking around doors and windows. Repair or replace as needed.
- Check and clean the gutters. Do the downspouts, too.
- Drain and store garden hoses.
- Check the exterior paint. Touch up as needed.